Top Of The Table Match Ends In Draw

The game of the week saw joint division leaders Arsenal take on Everton in a winner takes all match. Arsenal, who had home advantage, took the game by the scruff of the neck as they tore into Everton from the beginning It did not take them long to score, after the Everton keeper was totally wrong footed and watched aghast as the ball slid past into the goal.

Everton were all over the place as Arsenal continued their domination and soon scored a second to move further ahead, as a rebound took it past the keeper once more. It looked like Arsenal would continue their scoring run until a quick reacting Arsenal defender touched a moving ball to give Everton a free kick outside of the area. Despite the distance, Everton converted the free kick to bring the score to 2-1.

Arsenal tried to find a third goal but were beginning to tire after their midweek Cup match. Everton kept the attacks going and soon found an attacker on the edge of the area with the ball. A sublime thunderbolt of a shot left the Arsenal keeper stunned as it flew into the top corner. Arsenal continued hunting for a winner and managed to hit the post twice within minutes, but could not get the break they needed. The 2-2 draw keeps both teams level at the top of the table with 14 points.

The second match of the week saw Newcastle take on Nottingham Forest. Newcastle were the stronger team in the beginning and used that to take a well deserved lead. Notts Forest then began pushing for an equaliser but their attackers could not put a good shot at the keeper. Despite a lot of pressure they could not find a way through. Newcastle nearly found a second near the end of the game but the score remained 1-0.

The third match was a big game between Liverpool and Chelsea, as both teams were mid-table and needing a win. Chelsea started the brighter but Liverpool were dangerous on the counter and scored the first goal. Liverpool soon found a second and Chelsea came close a number of times, including hitting the post before they did manage to get one in the back of the net. Chelsea pressed hard for an equaliser, but Liverpool caught them on the break once more to get a third in the final minutes to close down the match.

The week brought another big tie as Tottenham took on Manchester United. Spurs needed a win and Manchester were looking for revenge after Tottenham dented their title ambitions last year. Spurs got off to the better start and were soon 2-0 up, even after a dubious freekick that had to be retaken. Man Utd needed to fight back and soon they got the goal they needed. They continued to push forward and Spurs could not hold back the tide with only seconds remaining, leaving the score at 2-2.

The next match was between rivals West Ham and Watford. It was quite even to being, until West Ham opened up the scoring. Watford were quick to equalise to make it 1-1. It appeared as if the teams were going to settle for the draw until West Ham pushed forward and Watford attempted a back pass, only for the keeper to fumble the ball into his own net. Watford were furious with going behind and attacked from kick off. A neat little chip saw the ball float past the West Ham keeper and the score was level at 2-2.

The final match of the week was a relegation 6-pointer between Southampton and Norwich City. Southampton got off to a dreadful start as they gave away a series of free kicks, giving Norwich an early lead. Southampton soon got back into it to make it 1-1 before Norwich once again took the lead. Southampton did not give up and soon it was Norwich being careless in defence. Southampton made the score 2-2 and then pushed on against a tiring Norwich to find a winner. Southampton take a crucial 3 points to move up the table whilst Norwich remain nailed to the bottom of the Division.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *